The governors at the college recognise that education places financial demands on parents for visits and that and there are some occasions when parents/carers will find it hard to meet these demands. Although funds are very limited the college would like to support parents/families where possible. Funds are very limited so the college will have to apply certain criteria in deciding whether or not support can be given.
These criteria below for awarding financial assistance will be applied to all students equitably.
Consideration will be given to students whose parents/carers are:
- Eligible for Free School Meals
- In receipt of Employment Support Allowance
- In receipt of Disability Living Allowance
- Experiencing temporary situations which are causing difficulty, for example caused by recent job loss, bereavement or other serious and unforeseen circumstances. In this case a letter of application will be required detailing the circumstances
To apply please send a cover letter and the completed Financial Support application form to Alex Hunt, Vice Principal, Business/Company Secretary. The form can be completed by the Parent/Carer or their representative. Evidence should be provided to support the eligibility criteria. The evidence provided will be returned to you together with a letter informing you of the outcome of your application and details of the award granted.
Lewes Exhibition Fund
Alternatively you could apply to The Lewes Exhibition fund for a grant to assist your child. The Trustees of the fund meet several times a year and give grants to students in Lewes and the surrounding villages.
Lewes Exhibition Fund is a charitable Trust which enables students up to the age of 25 years, who are resident in Lewes within 5 miles of the Law Courts at Lewes, to apply for financial assistance towards their education. Grants are generally in the region of £200 - £400.
In substance, the scheme provides for financial assistance to be given in one or more of the following ways:
- the award of Scholarships, Bursaries or Maintenance Allowances to tenable at any School, University or other place of learning, approved by the Governors of the Fund;
- the provision of the financial assistance, outfits, clothing, tools, instruments of books to enable beneficiaries under the scheme on leaving school, a University or any other educational establishment to prepare for, or to assist their entry into, a profession, trade or calling;
- the aware of Scholarships or Maintenance allowances to enable beneficiaries to travel abroad to pursue their education;
- the provision, or assistance toward the provision, of facilities of any kind not normally provided by the Local Educations Authority, for recreation and social and physical training, including the provision of coaching in athletics, sports and games, for beneficiaries who are receiving primary, secondary or further education: and,
- the provision of financial assistance to enable beneficiaries to study music or other arts.
The age limit for applicants has been settled by the Charity Commissioners at 25 years. Therefore, it would not be possible for applications from mature students over that age to be considered.
Application forms for the scheme may be obtained from Mr N C Walsh, Clerk to the Governors, Lewes Education Fund, Town Hall, High Street, Lewes, BN7 2QS. Or by phone 01273 471469.